Rockland County CYO Rules 2018‐2019
ALL CYO LEAGUES, FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, FOLLOW THE OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL (BOYS)
RULES OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF STATE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION.
1. Pressing rules
3rd GRADE AND 4 TH GRADE BOYS AND GIRLS
No pressing in the 3rd grade and 4th grade divisions until the last minute of the game only.
Regardless of the score. This rule has been added so that the winning team is unable to run out the
clock in the back court. 3rd graders and 4th graders are permitted to play only man to man defense. The defense must be
at foul line extended, while the offense gets the ball over half court. Once the ball is established on the front court, either by pass or dribble, the defense is permitted to pick up their assigned man. Help line defense is permitted at the discretion of the referee.
*****Rockland CYO had decided that 3rd-grade games only will, in the event of a tie after regulation, play one
3 minute overtime period. During this overtime, teams will only be allowed to press in the last minute of the
overtime. If the game is tied after the overtime period the game will end in a tie as this will not affect their
playoffs. This rule will only apply to the 3rd grade level for both boys and girls.
GRADE 5 EAST AND WEST DIVISION BOYS AND GIRLS
Pressing is permitted in grade 5 for the final 2 minutes of each half, except when the 15 point ahead
rule is in effect.
In 5th grades, defense begins after the ball has been established on the offensive frontcourt. This
means a player must be across the midcourt line with possession of the ball either by dribbling or a
pass, prior to being picked up by a defender.
GRADES 6 – 8 EAST DIVISION BOYS AND GIRLS
Pressing is permitted for the entire game, except when the 15 point ahead rule is in effect.
Grades 6 – 8 WEST DIVISION BOYS AND GIRLS
Pressing will be permitted only in the last 6 minutes of each half, except when the 15 point
ahead rule is in effect.
AT ALL GRADE LEVELS AND DIVISIONS, 15 OR MORE POINTS AHEAD
When a team is fifteen (15) points ahead in any game, it will be illegal to use any frontcourt press.
Failure to comply with this rule after a warning may result in a technical foul.
. When the no press rule is in effect, whether the 15 point rule or the level rule,
the defensive team must back up to the foul line extended, until the ball is
crossed and settled in the offensive frontcourt.
**This means when a team cannot press, all defensive players must fall back to the
foul line extended until the offensive team has the ball established in the frontcourt. At
that time all players may use the entire frontcourt to play defense.
Bonus situation begins with the 7th team foul, which will be the “one and one” bonus. On the
10th team foul the two shot bonus will be used.
ENTERING LANE: AT ALL LEVELS PLAYERS MAY ENTER THE LANE ON THE RELEASE OF
THE FREE THROW ATTEMPT
1. In the west division, grades 4 thru 8 all players are required to play for 5 minutes per game.
2. No three (3) point shot.
3. Time periods = two (2) twelve (12) minute halves – five (5) minute halftime.
4. In all girls’ divisions, Rookie, Bantam and Small Fry, the official smaller ball will be used.
5. The foul line for Boys 3 rd , 4 th and 5 th grades along with Girls 3rd , 4th 5th and 6th should be twelve (12)
feet from the backboard. However the full key will be utilized to determine the three (3) second
6. Four (4) timeouts are permitted during the game. There will be no penalty for illegal numbers on
the uniforms, or for contrasting colors of shirts worn under the uniforms. Contrasting shirts must be
uniform throughout the team.
7. Dunking is not permitted in any CYO divisions. This includes both warm-ups and games.
8. Team players and up to two (2) coaches only may SIT on the bench. Only HEAD COACH may
9. No shot clocks will be utilized.
10. All uniforms must have parish/school name printed on the front. A team can wear any color t-
shirt under their uniform, but everyone on the team has to be wearing the same color.
11. Players must remove all jewelry and hair accessories prior to the beginning of the game. Players
are not permitted to wear tape over any jewelry (including earrings). Players either REMOVE ALL
JEWELRY and HAIR ACCESSORIES or THEY DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the game.
12. Players are not permitted to wear sneakers with lights, springs or wheels.
13. A player or coach that is ejected from a game will be suspended one game for the first offense
and will face possible expulsion on the second offense. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner
immediately after the game.
14. Players involved in a fight will be suspended for two (2) games and depending on the severity of
the incident, may face expulsion. A second offense will result in immediate expulsion. A written report is
to be sent to the Assigner immediately after the game.
15. A coach involved in a fight will face immediate expulsion upon immediate consultation with the
Pastor, the Moderator, and the County Coordinator. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner
immediately after the game.
16. It is the home team’s responsibility to keep the clock and the scorebook whether at their gym or a
neutral site. Parishes, schools are responsible to train adults how to do the clock. At no time is a
minor permitted to be responsible for the clock for any game.
17. Scorebooks must be filled out with all potential players, both first and last names and the
scorebook is to be signed by both officials prior to the start of the game.
18. In all divisions the free throw lanes may be occupied as follows: a) In the 3rd, 4th and 5 th grade
Boys and Girls and 6th grade girls division the bottom box of the key will be filled when shooting free
throws; b) In the 6th grade Boys, 7th, 8th and High School Boys and Girls divisions, the first marked
lane space (the lane space adjacent to the end line) shall not be occupied.
A COPY OF THESE RULES IS TO BE POSTED AT THE SCORER’S TABLE FOR ALL GAMES